May 12, 2020
The Machine Operator position operates machine shop equipment under the supervision and direction of the Shop Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities
The number one responsibility of the Machine Operator is to operate a machine in an efficient and safe manner to produce steel products for our customers. This includes:
- Operates Machine in coordination with Shop Supervisor to efficiently prioritize cutting schedule.
- Coordinates with Yard Operator to receive material on timely basis.
- Verifies material prior to cutting for accuracy.
- Accurately reports time tracking for project costs.
- Communicates progress status and material needs to Shop Supervisor for scheduling.
- Communicates with Data Coordinator during file review as needed.
The second responsibility of the Plate Machine operator is to maintain the equipment in the shop. This includes:
- Detects and reports defective materials or questionable conditions to the Shop Supervisor.
- Maintains the work area and equipment in a clean orderly condition and follows prescribed safety regulations.
- Performs prescribed preventive maintenance on Machine as required per the charts.
- Must be willing to accept and receive frequent supervision and assistance with regard to machine set-up.
- Effectively communicates and troubleshoots through Machine’s support team.
- High School diploma or Equivalent, required.
- Minimum of 1 year of manufacturing related experience, preferred.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints, preferred.
P&M Steel looks for the following core values in all employees:
- Community: Promote – Grow – And give back when you can
- Team Oriented: Work together to build a positive team and family spirit
- Integrity: Do what’s right, legally and morally
- Commitment: Dedicated to the success of our customers, fellow team members and community
- Reliability: Dependable and consistent
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibrations. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions from the weather. Noise level in the work environment can be loud.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is required to be on their feet for long periods of time. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Hand dexterity and arm-hand steadiness. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and must work 36 hours each week to maintain full-time status. Occasional requirement to work overtime hours, including weekend hours.